This tour takes you through three iconic neighborhoods that are milestones in the construction of modern New York and includes food tastings, gallery visits, street art and more.
- Adult (13+)
- Child (6-12)
Explore the History, Music, Art & Food of Harlem
Our popular Harlem tour takes us through a neighborhood which for years was associated with New-York’s dangerous appeal, and is undergoing major cultural, demographic and economic changes that brings its old glory back with a revival of jazz clubs, theaters, exotic restaurants and art galleries.
Gospel music, street art, religion and soul food alongside the unique rhythm of the Harlem streets will expose a fascinating blend of African, Latin, Afro-American and European cultures that serve as a microcosmos of the American society- immigrants, outcasts, slaves, gold seekers, pioneers, explorers and visionaries.
The tour begins in central Harlem, where we will enter one of the churches famous for its authentic gospel service and hospitality. We will visit an authentic african market with a unique vision, tell the story of a special mosque which reveals identity seeking and local trauma. We will walk through the colorful streets and explore some of Harlem’s rich history- from its early days as a Dutch colony through its glorious Harlem renaissance age to its becoming an Afro-American epicenter and soul food empire.
- When you book, we send you a discount code for additional tours.
- The proposed program is subject to changes in accordance with the weather and the art content available on the day and time of the tour.
- It is customary to add about a $5 tip for the guide for each traveler.
- It is important to check the weather forecast, dress accordingly, and bring an umbrella if necessary.
- A meeting point and directions are sent to you after registration.
- Group tours can accommodate a maximum of 16 people.
- Children up to the age of 6 are not charged. Children ages 6-12 are $25.
- The cost does not include personal insurance, which is the responsibility of each participant.
- Cancellation policy: Up to 48 hours before the tour, a refund of $20 per participant can be paid for a group tour. Refunds are not possible less than 48 hours from the date of the tour.
- Glasshouse Urban Tours reserves the right to cancel a tour for reasons of force majeure for a full refund to participants.