Our popular Harlem tour takes us through a neighborhood which for years was associated with New-York’s dangerous appeal. We will experience a gospel service, walk through the colorful streets and explore some of Harlem’s…
Explore the Art of the Underground City
This tour gives you an opportunity to get to know the city from below, spiced with the story of colorful key figures and a chronicle of intrigue, scams, and class warfare. The New York Subway is perhaps the largest public art gallery in the world, and for more than 100 years, it has collected works of art that tell the story of this extraordinary city in an unusual way. The tour takes us from the first station in the city, which has long since been abandoned and few know of its existence, to the newest station as we explore the fine contemporary art decorating the walls of the Savoy tunnels.
We start with the lively Union Square, where we go through a contemporary work of art that incorporates the ruins of the original wall of the station that opened in 1904. From there, we embark on a journey underground, where some of the mystery of the city is revealed through stations connected with dramatic events in city life, ancient and contemporary art, and of course music.
We take our heads out of the ground at Battery Park, located in the ancient port city of New Amsterdam, where the story of New York began. We see the Statue of Liberty on the horizon and the Manhattan waterline, then return to the bottom. We visit an architectural masterpiece built beneath the earth on the ruins of the Twin Towers — perhaps the biggest scar in the history of the city — and we finish the tour near the Meuse Museum, close to the Metropolitan Museum and many other museums.
- The cost of the tour does not include entrance to the Savoy.
- A meeting point and directions are sent to you after registration.
- Group tours can accommodate a maximum of 12 people.
- Children up to the age of 6 are not charged. Children ages 6-12 are $25.
- It is customary to add about a $5 tip for the guide for each traveler.
- When you book, we send you a discount code for 10% off additional tours.
- The proposed program is subject to changes in accordance with the weather and the art content available on the day and time of the tour.
- It is important to check the weather forecast, dress accordingly, and bring an umbrella if necessary.
- The cost does not include personal insurance, which is the responsibility of each participant.
- Cancellation policy: Up to 48 hours before the tour, a refund of $20 per participant can be paid for a group tour. Refunds are not possible less than 48 hours from the date of the tour.
- Glasshouse Urban Tours reserves the right to cancel a tour for reasons of force majeure for a full refund to participants.